She Talks To Rainbows shows us how to upcycle an old picture into a chalkboard. I love that she has actually bought the picture frames from a charity shop and re-purposed them. There are so many old, and very cheap, second hand frames out there that need a new home and lease of life!
If you want to keep cost of this project to a minimum or use your own custom shade for the chalkboard you could very easily make your own chalkboard paint! You can use emulsion / latex or even acrylic paint to mix up your very own chalkboard paint colour. Click on the link to view Martha Stewart’s tutorial on making your own chalk paint.
The materials and equipment that you will need are listed below
- Old picture frame
- Chalkboard / blackboard paint
- Paint (if you want to decorate the frame)
- Beads and buttons (again only needed if you want to add decoration to your frame)
- E6000 glue (only needed for decorating the frame or for sticking the back panel back into the frame)
- Pliers to remove the back from the frame (if appropriate)
- Sandpaper (to key the surface of the picture frame before painting)
Let us know if you make your own chalkboard and comment below.