Chris from Curbly shows us how to upcycle a book into a bag in this great upcycling project. It’s such an inventive way to reuse unloved or unwanted books that cannot be recycled – see Recycle For Scotland.
If your book doesn’t have such an appealing cover remember you could also cover it with fabric or paint and embellish it. I thought the inside of the book that Chris used was pretty cool, I would have been tempted not to line the inside of the bag!
The materials and equipment that you will need to make your own upcycled bag are shown below.
- A book with a nice / interesting cover (or a not so nice one that you can decorate on the outside!)
- Fabric for the inner lining of your book (1/2 yard or so)
- Thread to match or contrast your fabric
- Pre-made handles
- Craft glue or hot glue
- Polyurethane finish, mod podge, or watered-down white glue
- Snap fastener (optional)
- Stanley knife
- Coloured markers / paint matching the colour of your book (so that you can tidy up any worn patches)
- Sewing machine
- Paint brush or sponge for the finishing coat to the outside of the book
Send us a picture of your upcycled book bag and we’ll showcase it for you!