I must admit to being, a wee bit bemused with the amount of sanding that Mark did…
If you look at the door about 2.5 mins into the video, you’ll see that the door still looks like it’s got a pretty solid colour to it. Mark then adds the finishing wax and once it’s ‘dried’ it looks much more rustic… with much less paint! I think he went back and did more sanding at that point 😉
If you are going to store your planting shelf door outside, I’d definitely recommend adding some weatherproofing exterior varnish to help protect it from the elements.
The materials and equipment that you’ll need to make your upcycled door planting shelf are shown below.
- Old door
- 5 pine boards for the shelves (1″ depth x 12″ width x 24″ long)
- 8 brackets (Mark used 10″ L brackets)
- Household or candle wax
- Paint (Mark used Americana Decor Chalky Finish in various colours)
- Finishing wax (Mark used Americana Decor Creme Wax) or exterior clear varnish
- Screw driver
- Paint brush
- Electric sander / sanding block
- Sand paper
- Decorative stencil (optional)
Did You Know?
In 2009, United States landfills were filled with trash equivalent to the weight of 88 million cars!
courtesy of: www.kab.org
Sign up for our newsletter and keep up to date with our latest upcycling finds.