April from Coolirpa shows us how to upcycle jeans into a backpack (or rucksack as it also known) in this upcycling video tutorial. This is a really smart way to reuse jeans and a very inexpensive way to get a new bag!
April has painted dots on the front of her bag but you could also sew on patches, ribbons, buttons, sequence or use a stamp and fabric ink to stamp on images.
The materials and equipment that you will need to make your upcycled backpack are shown below.
- Old pair of jeans
- A long zip
- Fabric paint / embellishments (optional)
- Measuring tape
- Pen / pencil / dressmakers chalk
- Paper to mark out the pattern
- Sewing machine
- Denim needle / No 16 needle
- Small paint brush (optional)